In Chapter 1, we discussed the different types of sports bets that a bettor can make. If you are new to sportsbetting, it is very important that you understand the different bet types and the way each of them work. Once you understand those basics, you are ready to make a bet. That’s what we will be discussing in this article today – how to place a sports bet. We will walk you through the process of placing a bet.
Depending on where you live, you may live close enough to a sportsbook that you can physically go to and place your bets or if you are reading this article in 2025, you will likely be able to go to your nearest gas station to place your bets. As for now, the most convenient way to place sports bets is via online sportsbooks. We will talk about some of the best online sportsbooks in chapter 3 but first let’s talk about the process and steps for you to make a sports bet online. Each sportsbook is a little different but here’s a general run down from start to finish.
- Deposit money into your account – the top sportsbooks will not allow you to bet on credit like some smaller sportsbooks might offer so you are required to put money into your account before you can place a bet. Each online sportsbook will have different minimum deposit amounts but the standard is usually between $25-$100.
- Select the sport that you are looking to bet on – go to the menu on the online sportsbook and select the sport that you would like to bet on. The standards are NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL.
- Select the game and type of bet you want to make – once you select the sport that you would like to bet on, all of the games for that day will be listed with the different types of bets available for that day. For example – the Lakers are playing the Hornets – each team will have the moneyline, spread, and over under listed. Let’s take the Lakers spread for this bet – so we will click on the Lakers spread button (-8.5).
- Go to betting ticket – once you click on the game and type of bet you want, it will be added to your betting ticket. The next step is to go to your betting ticket window.
- Enter bet amount and click place bet – once you are on the betting ticket window, you will need to enter the amount of money that you want to place on the bet. Once you enter the amount of money, click the place bet button.
- Confirm bet – all online sportsbooks will make you review your bet and confirm it before the bet is officially booked. Once you confirm, your bet has been placed!
Check out our video walk through on HERE.
Yes, it’s really that easy to place a bet! If you have any questions or would like someone to walk you through each step when you place your bet, you can reach out to me directly on twitter or instagram @kofsports. Stay tuned for Chapter 3 where we talk about betting online and the best online sportsbook.